View Single Post
Old May 8, 2017   #1
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Default Chain link dog kennel turned compost area and I have some ?'s

So, I have turned the old 6'x'6'x6' kennel into a compost pile holder and raised it up onto some cinder blocks to make it a little taller.

Question #1

There is no top, I keep saying I need something to help keep the rain off of it but I don't have a clue what to use for it.

The sides are allowing small paper products to blow out into the yard with the wind. We have a lot of wind here so it's a constant issue to pick up the pieces that have blown out. I have used a plastic trash bag on top of the pile held down with pvc piping but it still gets blown around because our winds are always high gusts of wind nearby the gulf of mexico. Plastic and even tarps deteriorate very quickly here so I need a better solution for covering the pile.

Question #2

So, what can I use to surround the kennel to keep everything inside? and I need it to be strong enough to handle if I accidentally hit it with the pitch fork when turning it all. Is it best to just use some wood to enclose the inside of the kennel for the composting? Or is that just taking away the need for the kennel in the first place?

I told my husband today that the kennel would be better served turned into a greenhouse instead of composting inside of it, lol.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 8, 2017 at 06:39 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote