View Single Post
Old January 4, 2018   #11
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I tried newspaper pots once, but they got moldy in my environment here. Paper party cups don't work for me either for the same reason.

Weatherman is on showing pics of snow in Florida today. Rajun you will warm up pretty well by running a tiller up and down the fields.
My cold day project: better window covers. Made a frame for some vinyl in my south window so I can let some daylight in and move my rosemary upstairs. More and extra coverings for windows and doors too! Basement and greenhouse doors got weatherstripped etc last winter but it just isn't enough. Hung blankets over them, much better.... winter is certainly here.
My wooden pot makes holds the paper on the bottom as advertised. I experienced the mold issue with the paper pots as well as with paper dixie cups. The trick must be to keep it in the paper pot for a very short time. This was with a very rich seed start mix (Fox Farms) . Perhaps a coir mix that dries faster would resist the mold. If there is a way to avoid the mold I would like to know.

I like the idea of using a giant can for making paper melon pots. I would use a large plastic pot as the mold and grow them in the pot and slide the paper out out transplant. This works in theory at least

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote