View Single Post
Old February 29, 2016   #65
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I applaud you for going all organic. That long list of inputs for your beds gets pricey fast, and while "the kitchen sink" approach does work, there are other ways to skin a cat and still produce good results. Not quite as perfect or nutritionally dense or as non-polluting as one would like, but still pretty good and more than acceptable.
Thank you.

I would like to clarify something though. It's not so much about a kitchen sink approach as much as it is about diversity of inputs in regards to the impact it has on microbial populations. Certain inputs foster certain bacterial populations. The more diverse the microbial population, the more of a threshold there is for the plant to respond to adversity without negative impacts on our desired performance points.

I don't look at things from the prospective of "N-P-K" provision alone. I prefer to look at it from the concept of what each amendment is going to contribute in the bigger picture. Not everything listed is for plant nutrition, but rather for soil health. Again, I'm more focused on the aspect of feeding the soil not the plant.
TheUrbanFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote