View Single Post
Old January 21, 2011   #15
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

When you talked about them being very sweet -- those were ripe to over ripe in the opinion of most Mexicans I know.

For my markets, the Mexicans want the tomatillos to fill the husk but still be green in color. At that stage they will have a lemony taste that complements a salsa.

When the husk is brown and they fall off or you just can see that they are whitish-creamy color, then they will be sweeter and have a bit of a plum flavor to me. Gringos will use them but the Mexicans don't like them unless they can't get anything else. Too sweet for salsa. But you can make a compote or jam out of those.

I usually put 2 or 3 seeds in my germinating cells and pot them up all together like that. That way you know you have the 2 plants you need for pollination and if something cracks off, it's no big deal.

The plants are more brittle than tomatoes, but are also more weedy once they get going. We had several areas this summer that came up on their own from where we had had plants several years before.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote