View Single Post
Old August 23, 2017   #16
bschaerger
Tomatovillian™

Hi zipcode,

the place is called www.exotic-seeds.de
Careful, I just called it up and it seems to be now loaded with nasty adware or such.

With all the talk about Merinda/Marinda/Mirinda being a hybrid, I didn't want to chance it with seeds from a commercial fruit.

This year's result looked like the real thing, complete with the pointy tip, but maybe German summer and growing conditions in a pot did not lead to the desired taste. Or the commercial is a hybrid after all. If anyone has definite knowledge about the Merinda-Marinda-Mirinda conundrum, please speak up.

The only thing I know is that the great stuff is grown in Sicily in winter and sold from March to June or so. Plus there is the usual talk of salt water which I take with a grain of said stuff.

When sold in Italy in spring these tomatoes usually don't carry a name and vendors call it Costoluto, which doesn't tell you anything as it means "ribbed"... I just check the look and maybe if the box says "Sicily" somewhere.

I have researched this a lot, but obviously to no avail so far.

Best, Barbara

Edited to add: I just realized that you probably wanted to know the source of the tomatoes, not the seeds. Here you go:
https://www.erlesene-kartoffeln.de/p...a-tomaten/1577
And as you see, these are called Marinda, just to confuse everyone.

Last edited by bschaerger; August 23, 2017 at 04:12 AM.
bschaerger is offline   Reply With Quote