View Single Post
Old April 24, 2013   #21
gardenstartup
Tomatovillian™

Our currency is eur now(from 2011).
offer was over 22000 eur, but i converted it freely to $
Of course i said no. It is ridiculous, because plastic and steel + other things necessary I can get all in total about 10000-12000$
And I'm building it now. Not 1x300m2 but 2 x 150m2 because it's easier to keep pests and diseases under control so. + you can invest in smaller parts.
Yes, material prices and costs are almost same as in US, except fuel, but salary is not. And what you think how long you must save from 500$ net salary to buy 25000$ greenhouse? Food prices and other living costs same like in us now.
Well if you grow only tomatoes in estonia, then as I calculated quickly, it takes ca 12 years until you reach to point where you start making profit from your expensive greenhouse.
So you need to grow flowers before tomatoes and between tomatoe plants - herbs.
It sounds like expensive hobby, but i will do it anyway. If you work hard and not only 8 hours per day, then finally you will suceed. And you need a lot of optimistic thinking.

Cole: Nice frame, but sides are little bit low, just my opinion. Thumbrule in here: sides 1.5m minimum, 1.8m optimal.
Rockporter: yes, people are thinking that gardening is easy and it costs nothing. so they are complaining about the prices.
and additionally if they see somekind of commercial like "viola's 10pack 1.80€", then even if it is 150km away, they want same price from you. Of course - 0.18 per viola is dumping price it's not covering costprice, but our bigger flowershops will start with violas every spring. It's a little bit weird business. Every season starts from beginning and if you can get a customer early spring he or she will remain loyal until season end. Next year same person is deciding again.

Sorry about my english - never learned it at school, we had only german lessons.

Last edited by gardenstartup; April 24, 2013 at 02:37 AM.
gardenstartup is offline   Reply With Quote