View Single Post
Old January 16, 2018   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I"ve been reading the old herb posts and thought I would share what I have started so far. I am very new at this and it basically started with finding a few things on sale. Thanks to those that I pm'ed with questions!

Parsley oregano and cilantro and lettuce seeds were gradually started last winter to have more green around, and the herbs grew nicely without taking much space or effort. Lettuce production was just okay and I will try harder next year. One was from a kit that was like a soup can that went on sale after the holidays and were eventually potted into ordinary clay pots when the weather warmed up.

I bought a few Bonnie Plants herbs when the big box stores had their spring sale. It was too early for tomato and peppers so I scooped up a few herbs - pineapple sage died from mites but more oregano and lemon thyme is going strong.

I found a columnar basil plant locally, yay! Will start cuttings soon. This is the basil that doesn't seed.

Last week a few flats of sale plants came home and I am in the process of potting some up for indoor overwintering. Its too hot and dry to be planting outside this week.

another pineapple sage
golden sage
common sage
purple sage

greek oregano
hot and spicy oregano
sweet marjoram

an unmarked mint, probably spearmint
mojito mint, Passed at $4 just bought at $1
lemon balm

german chamomile

sorrell

lemon grass

stevia

arugula (already flowering)

dill

fennel

germannder

rue

- Lisa
This is am old thread but I am updating the plants that I brought indoors to share my success and failures.

lemon balm does fine, still green and smells like furniture polish

dill is half alive

golden sage and a variegated sage are fine but staying very small, they make a nice houseplant

pineapple sage flowered outdoors, and it was beautiful, but when brought indoors it did well for a month and gradually died stem by stem

curly parsley is just sitting there, didn't bring the huge flat parsley inside
the oreganos are just sitting there but healthy
the mints quickly croaked indoors, the leaves turned brown and dropped

I would love a lush indoor herb garden but it didn't happen. Next year I will try again repotting with wondersoil.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote