Thread: Paprika
View Single Post
Old March 18, 2016   #39
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Ummmm, I really have to disagree strongly with what I have read several times above.... Not just ANY pepper makes Paprika!

ANY pepper makes a powder, but that is not necessarily even close to the taste of what a Paprika type pepper would be. Paprika a somewhat subtle with either a hint of sweet or a hint of hot, sometime a subtle mix of hot and sweet.

Cayenne Pepper, yields, Cayenne powder .... Habenero Pepper yields, Habenero powder ... please note these and many others are nowhere near what a Paprika powder should add to the taste of your food. Paprika is an enhancer, not a dominant ingredient.

Stick to your traditional Hungarian or Spanish paprika type peppers to make your powders.

Another vote for Leutschauer Paprika here!
Thank you! Wrote that down in my notes, so I don't forget.

It's going to be Alma Paprika and the Leutschauer Paprika pepper to start with this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braybright View Post
Thanks for your generosity, Robert. I have learned loads from this thread. I love cooking with paprika but it never occured to me that you could grow and make it at home! I am excited to give it a whirl.
I didn't either til I started reading some of the pepper threads and discovered folks talking about, smoking, making powders and doing all kinds of things with peppers.

When you get time, start reading some of the pepper threads. Lots of good and amazing information in them.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote