View Single Post
Old January 18, 2020   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Amdro works well but I don't want my cats around it. I'd have to carry boiling water from the house down to the garden and that's just way too dangerous.

Thinking about it, I could probably treat a mound and then set a tomato cage over it so the cats can't get around the stuff. The MSDS for Amdro does say pets are attracted to it as it's oil based.
My dogs leave it alone and they eat most anything besides from what the MSDS said about it's toxicity it wouldn't hurt them unless they could get hold of a lot of it on a regular basis. Speaking of fire ants I did find two small mounds about 4 or 5 inches across in my front yard and one small one in my back when I mowed today. I have been surprised I haven't seen a lot more with the rain and high temps we have had lately. Looks like I will be covering up tomorrow night and for a couple of nights after that. I will get a chance to see how the frost cloth works as opposed to 4 mil plastic. I will be covering 4 beds with the shortest one being 28 ft and the longest a bit over 40 and there will be fairly high winds for a day or two also.

My onions, peas, carrots, spinach, rutabagas, and Brussels sprouts will remain uncovered unless the forecast gets worse.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote