View Single Post
Old October 5, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
Thanks Worth. I think I got the salt ratio thing worked out - the brine should be 5% salt by weight, which makes it easier since weight measurements eliminate the inaccuracies in volume measurements due to different in salt fineness. For a fine salt this would be about 3 TBS salt per quart as you noted. For Kosher salt with a coarse grind it would be 6 TBS per quart. I will weigh out the salt rather then use tablespoons.

I intend to chop the hot peppers with some garlic, add a little whey, pack them into a half-gallon mason jar, cover them with 5% brine, and loosely add a standard mason jar lid & band. Each day I will tighten the lid, shake, and re-loosen the lid again so the CO2 can escape. After fermentation I will beat the peppers smooth in a blender and strain into jars. I may drain all or part of the brine, add vinegar and/or lime juice, and boil it so I can can the batch. Sound okay?

Tom
The salt doesn't have to be that accurate at all but Morton has a good site with this already figured out for you if you wish.
Your choice.
Now for the jar lid thing.
Put the lid on tight not loose.
In a few days or the next day you will start to feel the lid get tight.
When this happens just barely crack it to let some of the Co2 escape then put it back tight again.
In the beginning it will be very active and then settle back down again.

But you always want to keep the lid tight.
It wont blow up.
You will see it bubble when you crack the lid a little.

Now for the vinegar or lemon juice.
If it is fermented properly it will be acidic enough without it.
But you can use it if you wish or even powdered citric acid.

Aslo if you are going to make the sauce you want to make when it is warm in the blender you can add Xanthan gum.
About 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon per quart of sauce slowly while it is in the blender.
Blend a bunch.
This will keep it from separating.
I did it and love the results.
But I ferment whole not chopped up.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote