View Single Post
Old January 8, 2017   #49
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default Sundog F3 - last of the season

This second sibling from the cross Zolotoe Serdtse X Indian Stripe, was also destined for outdoors from the start. I had no shelter for them, so they leaned against the greenhouse for a while, then four of them moved to the valley and finally, a last desperate form of support tested - a hangin pole in the woods.
It was not a good support plan. It worked fine as a support, but life among the spruces and vars is not for tomatoes like these. Some fruit simply disappeared quietly as they began to ripen. I wasn't paying enough attention to realize until it was too late. Other fruit gathered mold spores in their crevices, some were outright savaged by slugs on the vine, or combinations of. When I realized the best ones were just vanishing, I gathered all that were left and brought them indoors to ripen and look see. The most interesting one, with prominent radial striping, turned out to be a cherry-burgundy black with no beta... scarred but beautiful. Not a single fruit from the hangin pole was actually fit to eat, but I saved seeds from this one.

Shown next to it on the plate is a Beta/- black with nice stripes that got tucked into the wood stacker with the Winter Skys. You can tell that it benefitted from shelter. I will never grow beefs in the woods again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sundog-supports-annex.JPG (329.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SUNDOG-stripesegs.JPG (174.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg cherry-burgundy-sundog.JPG (224.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg cherry-burgndy-sundog-sliced.JPG (199.3 KB, 25 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote