View Single Post
Old February 10, 2017   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
I put this question in the MMMM Questions thread but didn't get an answer. Trying again here.

I got 21 Pea and Red Rippers from the MMMM Bean Swap. I think they will love the heat and humidity here. My question is, are the pods edible like Chinese long beans, or are they too tough or not palatable? Would they be work in a stir fry or should I save them for soups and stews. Also, if anyone has a favorite recipe for cowpeas, I would appreciate your sharing. We didn't eat these growing up. I don't know the best way to prepare them. My mom only cooked snap beans with ham and boiled potatoes. All the other veggies we had came from a can.
Mostly as shelly beans or dried mature beans. You can, and I also do this, is pick some of the thin ones and snap them into the fresh shelly beans. The very young pods are pretty tender. As the pod ages and the "peas" get bigger, the pod toughens up to where you don't want to eat it- but the chickens and hogs like them.

Red Rippers make good gravy as they cook. I just cook most cowpeas with either smoked ham hock, fat back or a ham bone, garlic and onion, s& p to taste.

I sometimes will make an odd dish that has okra, tomatoes and whatever vegetables I have laying about, all cooked together, take the side meat off any bones or dice the fat back, cook until thickened and serve over rice - sort of a b a s ta rdized gumbo.

That, with some corn bread or biscuits will load you up for an afternoon's work, or in my case, a nap!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote