View Single Post
Old May 25, 2015   #3
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Last year actually worked out great ....but I had fruit set

in early may ! (Cosmonaut Volkov , Sasha's Altai, Big beef , Sungold , early Girl etc. ) then it got "Maugust " ( August in May ) it did seem to all work out ...

Gregori's Altai, bloody Butcher were all large huge Mutant Blemish free fruit due to the weather ...I even had Monamahk's hat go crazy .

The yellow pear did develop later but prolific (of course ).

When things were cool in previous years ...when using the cool tomatoes for the cool coastal climate ....Bang ...fruit set easy peasy early and even in mid summer ... not like the heat fruit set problems in Texas .

I believe this year is record breaking heat for the area and I notice the cool ones
have not been able to give me the extra early advantage of previous years .

I do notice the cool ones do operate better in the cool ...better than the regular ones that need a certain amount of heat to prosper. but most cool get knocked back a bit more than the regular in the heat ??

The solution may be to plant a variety that is best guess for growing season

some 'cools " some regular all arounds and a few heat resistant .

OR perhaps find some that would be able to set fruit in the cool extra early

and still prosper if the weather pattern did get extra "record breaking " hot .

I believe that Cool/ Heat types are : Stupice , Kimberly, Yellow Pear , Gold Nugget , I also noticed a post some where of Gregori's Altai being a cool climate yet heat resistant type .

I guess the potato leaf types like Stupice could be also ( Matina , Bloody butcher , Kotlas , moravsky div etc. )

and the Parthenocarpic types (Legend, Siletz ,Gold nugget etc could be good ones as well for the cool/ heat etc.

I just wish there was a way to identify the ones with the early cool set advantage that would still be ok in heat .
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote