Thread: Second crop
View Single Post
Old July 12, 2017   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Second crop

Although I am still getting fruit from the first bed of tomatoes I planted the second planting on May 1st and my third planting in mid May are starting to produce nicely. Although the second planting got hit pretty hard by EB the same as the first bed the third only had a few plants affected slightly. What is surprising is the size of the fruits I am getting from the third bed. Usually this time of the year there are few tomatoes that would be classified as large but all the rain has broken up the normally insufferable heat and allowed the fruits to get fairly big. I did plant a fourth bed on the 16th of June and as I was giving my plants a dose of TTF this morning I noticed that at least half of those plants now have set fruits so the future of fresh tomato eating looks fairly good for the next couple of months. Of course that is if the spider mites don't come in big time and the pests and foliage diseases can be kept under control. I am still losing quite a few fruits to worms and birds so I guess the squirrels will start on them soon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I have enough grafted seedlings to plant one more small bed in late July or early August if I can get one prepared. That last bed would strictly be for fall tomatoes and is always tricky because if the cool nights move in too soon the fruits don't ripen good or are damaged by an early freeze; but if we have a late fall then I could be eating fresh tomatoes at Christmas.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote