View Single Post
Old September 7, 2014   #77
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Wonder why no one has mentioned Speckled Roman as a good starting point - a very yummy paste and cooks down to a rich sauce (if memory serves)

and in reading an unrelated recent post Aunt Gertie's gold was mentioned - brought back memories - fabulous taste but very low production in my experience - this could be a wonderful combination - no?
I was going to mention Speckled Roman,too. It's a good producer of medium sized dry fruit with beautiful color.Although it's indeterminate and I don't know how you breed for determinate? I would think black tomatoes would make a fine sauce, since I've used Cherokee Purples and they made a beautiful spaghetti sauce or salsa. The plums and even store bought aromas seem to have far too much juice/gel.
I've seen some hearts posted here that look like they would pass the dryness/meatiness test.
Since pink and red are determined by skin color and the skin gets removed when processing it shouldn't make any difference if its a pink tomato.
Great idea for a project! I'm still looking for my sauce/paste/drying tomato and I have most of the same requirements.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote