Thread: Texas Chili
View Single Post
Old February 12, 2017   #17
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Never heard of Bolognese with peas, but I am sure you could. It is basically a thick meat sauce but it does have wine in it. No veggies except the onion, celery, carrot that is sauteed until it is dark mushy and tomatoes, which you can't see, and meat slow simmered. I have not tried my brother's venison Chili, as I tried venison once and did not care for it. I prefer beef. I must admit I have only made it with ground meats, not the kind with chunks of cut meat. To me Chili is ground beef, only because that is how I grew up eating it. Now though, I usually use half ground beef and half Italian sausage, which might be a greater sin than the beans to some, lol. I suspect venison is an acquired taste. Kind of like the first time I made meatballs with ground beef, pork and veal. Didn't think I cared for it but decided I would just use up ones I had made and frozen. By the time I was done, I had become accustomed to the new taste and loved them! But to me Chili is comfort food and I tend to go back to what I am used to. If I find a good deal on a large cut of meat that would be good for Chili I might try that, too. Does everyone start the Chili with Onion, green pepper and celery?
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote