Thread: Texas Look Out!
View Single Post
Old November 14, 2017   #544
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I would love to have a fence up, even a temp one but cannot afford to put one in. The fence saga continues. We are battling with the bank to cash the dang check so we can use the money, but that's a whole other story to deal with.

So, the church cried it's a poor church and the thousands they have paid into insurance over the years and were told the fences would not be covered, also told nothing of the damage they have would be covered. I think that is a bunch of BS just like his story changed about how long the fence had been there and who put it up in the first place. All while he is driving a brand new and very expensive car, one I would never be able to purchase. I suppose it could be he is a part time pastor, but I don't know that for sure.

We finally got him to agree on putting in the posts with the concrete and hubby would do the rest of the fence. But it took a lot to make sure he understood it would be new pressure treated posts, not old ones like he wanted to use. I explained those boards are rotted and weak. We agreed they would go in at 6' spacing and find out too late the guy is putting the posts in at 8 feet, and I blew my top. Then find out he changes his mind to put them every 7 feet because he doesn't want to dig out the concrete that is there from the original posts.

This supposed contractor didn't even bring his own tools and borrowed my husbands leveling string and his 5 ft long level to put the posts in. Geez, such idiots around here. I am so puzzled why things have to be so hard to get them done properly.

Now, I asked the renter neighbor to have her landlord contact us weeks ago regarding the fence and have not heard from him. I also asked the roofers to have the owner of house contact us and gave them my phone number. Never heard a word from him until today when he knocked on the door. He proceeds to tell me he hired a contractor to build the fence and he expects us to pay half. I told him I have been trying to reach you regarding the fence and have not heard back. He told me nobody contacted him. I told him we would not pay anyone to build the fence, my husband will do it and he will do it right. The man tells me the fence posts will be 8' apart and only two horizontal boards.

Oh my gosh, such idiotic dumbbells around here. I told him under no terms will we pay half for anyone to build the fence and those boards better be six feet apart and three horizontal boards. I try to explain to these people we have huge wind gusts that pull the boards off because the wind bows them out in the center. They need to be attached on three contact points and the upright 4x4 should be 6' apart. He also proceeds to tell us he isn't getting a permit for the fences. What an idiot. I am so flabbergasted at the lazy way people do things around here. I informed him it would be in his best interest to get the permit so he wouldn't be fined for building the fence without it. The permit fees have been waived for everyone so there is no reason not to get one. He refuses, he also refused to have his contractor register with the city. My husband said he thinks he is going to open up a can of worms when he goes down to get our permit and they find out he isn't getting a permit. He still refused. Just shaking my head.

So, my husband will build that side of the fence and the neighbor owner will pay for half the materials and it will be done right. At this point I want all those uprights the church put in to be yanked and reset at 6' spaces and we buy the extras needed to build the fence right. They still have about 5 posts that need to be set in.

What really got me on this thing was the neighbor owner decided he would pay these people and we would pay half while the good side is in his yard. So, what we get is the back fence having 7' apart 4x4's and the side would have 8' apart 4x4's. I asked what about our aesthetics. Fences are ugly enough we don't need 4x4 posts that are spaced different on each side of our yard. The fence was on our side before and that is how it will be when we build it back.

Just shaking my head, and the other neighbor isn't doing anything as of yet, you know the one I was so happy had a for sale sign in his yard. Well, it's off the market now so I guess I am stuck with him.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote