View Single Post
Old March 6, 2016   #1
marc108
Tomatovillian™

Default Bad soil test results, need some help with amendments

I did a rapitest on my garden today with some bad results. Ive heard it said on forums they arent accurate, but UC Davis ag tested is against their labs and it was >90% accurate.

Soil ended up being N depleted, super excessive P, deficient K. My soil is clay amended with Kellogg Amend (rice hulls, compost, manure), a little wood chips, and worm castings, which I amended about 3 weeks ago. My preference is to keep the garden organic if possible. I also have seedlings (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, melons) growing that will be ready for transplant in 3-4 weeks.

My plan is to use blood meal and kelp for N. My garden is 24 square feet, so 5 oz blood meal and 2.5 lbs kelp now which should give me a nice quick and slow hit of N. 1oz blood meal at plantimg in 4 weeks and every 3-4 weeks after.

Do I need to worry about my plants burning from that much blood meal?

For K I'm planning on using 1.25 oz potassium sulfate. I have no clue about its release rate though and if I need to reapply during the season.

I'm also unsure how deep to work these into the soil?

Does this sound good? I've also thought about using espoma palm tone (4-1-5) during the season. Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160305_222701_001~2.jpg (225.3 KB, 165 views)
marc108 is offline   Reply With Quote