View Single Post
Old October 25, 2011   #58
JackE
Tomatovillian™

I can't thank you enough for all that invaluable info! It answers most of the questions I still have - but my feeble brain is still coudy on how the injector regulates the fertilizer.

I didn't know about the flush caps - I'll get some. I do have the vacuum release valves, one for each zone, and 12# pressure regulators as well. I have a large 200 micron filter on the main supply line at the well, but right now I have the element removed - it is a disc type filter and I didn't feel it was letting enough water through . I'll put the element back and try it again.

The well is completely isolated from our house well, so feedback is not an issue. The water is very clean except for sand. I have a sand trap at the tank itself, along with a flush valve, and it seems to be catching all the sand - I haven't seen any sand in the bottom of the filter cannister.

I still haven't bought an injector - still applying the fertilizer(Peters 20-10-20 liquid in 25# bags) with the sprayer. I fertilize weekly at the rate of 1# per 400 ft of row for row crops and 1# per 100 plants for tomatoes. I also add calcium nitrate every other week to keep the pH up.

I'm still not very clear on the injection operation, but I'm learning from study. If I buy that larger EZ-Flow, and dump a 25# bag of fertilizer in it, how do I know how much is getting to the plants? Wouldn't it dump a very strong mixture at first and then get weaker and weaker? I don't understand how to control the rate of application. I'm going to study your links - maybe I can get it into my head how this works! I'll hold-off installing one until I understand how to use it.

You made a great deal on that mulch layer. We're looking for one. But used ones are always so far away!

Thanks again. What's your first name?

Jack
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote