Thread: 2016 Prices
View Single Post
Old March 4, 2016   #41
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Default 2016 prices

I have a unique situation where I sell my heirloom tomatoes to a gentleman who runs a high end farmers market. He buys pretty much every tomato I can grow for $2.50 pound. I started out setting up at a farmers market, and couldn't compete with the folks who buy the imported stuff (non heirlooms). I asked the guy who had the upscale farmers market about setting up there since he too was an heirloom tomato fan and when he asked what price I was going to sell them, he offered to buy mine every week for $2.50 pound. He sells them for $4.50 pound.

This year, I am growing four times more tomatoes and many more varieties. I plan on selling him slicers for $2.50 pound and the cherries & salads for $3.00 pound bulk.

I feel very fortunate to have a situation like this as I only deal with one entity and deliver 1-2 times a week. I also don't have to tie up a bunch of time setting up and waiting for customers. I do volunteer some time at the market answering questions about the varieties and helping him set things up. His staff doesn't know much about the varieties, so I help sort out and help with the tags.

Joe
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote