View Single Post
Old July 12, 2017   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
Bill,
My seeds for the first round were put into the planting soil just a couple days ago, but they REALLY fooled me. With our super hot, total humidity days they came up this morning. Looking at the various planting date calendars, it looks like my winter seed planting for those to grow throughout the winter should come in mid- August. I guess these that are sprouting now will be for fall.
I think you may be starting a bit early even for transplanting. I usually start some Brussels sprouts in late July because they are so slow to grow and must be kept inside in the air conditioning until cool nights arrive. I will start a few broccoli, cabbage, rutabagas, and cauliflower in late August and again in Sept. I never know what the weather will do but it doesn't work to put any of them out too early but you want some ready to go as soon as it cools down. Carrots are great to grow down here. I never know when will work out to be the best time to start them so I usually start a small patch in October, November and December. Usually one or two of those patches will get a good stand and do well over the winter and be ready to pick as soon as the spring weather gets here. Lettuce and spinach are much trickier. Lettuce tends to bolt easily so starting it too soon is a no no but it also is easily damaged by freezes so some kind of cover is needed. Spinach is hard to sprout and grow before cool weather gets here so best not to hurry it too much. I like to grow Bermuda onions because they will grow down here and keep better than Vidalia types which want to start rotting as soon as you pick them. I start my onions in flats or in the ground in October and over winter them for picking in April and May.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote