View Single Post
Old May 10, 2017   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I made a brief try of DE and didn't see any difference overall, but wasn't really looking at root development. It is essentially sterile, isn't it? Did you use some specific fert. regimen in con★★★★★★★★ with DE?

-GG

For me top growth with DE is really no different than when I was using a starter mix, the root development is a whole different story. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I pulled a plant out of the DE to up-pot it.

And yes, once the plants have their first true leaves, they are given half strength liquid fertilizer with every watering.

Many use it to eliminate damping off issues. I use it for the root development, the need to water less frequently, and to eliminate the chance of another fungus gnat infestation that came from using what must have been an old bag of starter mix.

If organic fertilizers are used, the DE can be dried out and baked in the oven to kill anything living in it, then re-used. This year I made the mistake of using some fine DE I had not baked, and I ended up with bad algae growth.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote