View Single Post
Old January 25, 2017   #74
kurt
Tomatovillian™

In some older installations they would use a wiring scheme to energize only the bottom outlet of a DUPLEX to energize that ONLY for a convenience lamp for night time controls.Also they would utilize a three way circuit to turn on/off for same device on control switches(i.e.combo fan/light,switch at doors same device.)Great info #69 reply.In the past when doing office space demolition 4-5 floors at a time in Miami high rises during the sweet,cocaine infused generated economy era we enjoyed,we would find all the things done wrong thru our version of forensic demolition.When unscrupulous,non union,untrained scumbags do electrical installations unchecked they will use any colored wire,they will ground the blackwire to a metal stud.So you get the picture.My two favorites:the hot energized wire run continous throughout all panels,★★★★★★★★s etc to facilitate the scumbags need for temporary power to complete his work.A sound practice if you remember to remove the wire upon completion of your install.If not the "next guy" might encounter some extra juice(shock/death) not needed at that time.Most memoriable a whole job by a scumbag outfit,All devices in,nice panel work,Id labels,and not one wire in any non existent conduit that was NOT in the walls.The contractor and his brother in law Miami Electrical Inspector are now in club Fed(it was a US government jobsite)the only thing they are ap "pealing" are potatos.IF you can start fresh with new wires,Check capacities/loads and confirm wire sizes.When working at homes I have me,tradesmen,anyone TURN OFF HOUSE PANEL MAIN before any work involving something that can KILL you.I know of three men in my life are DEAD now because of electricity.Lastest news is the replacement of the aluminum/copper alloy cables bus ducts and even outlet components that are in existing structures here in S Florida and our salt laden air is slowly disintegrating.We made a killing on the scrap prices of the junk material.We got the contract,removing bus ducts,Bus ducts are solid bars of metal used to conduct power (electicity)in a electric room for high rises from ground to penthouse roof tops.As a example the bars can be 1x6x15 foot,75%copper,25% alum 10 bars per floor 30 floors.We made a killing.