View Single Post
Old November 20, 2017   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I also gave up selling six-packs. Most people have gardens too small to want that many plants of one variety. I buy 4" square pots in a "sheet-o-pots" insert that fits into a 1020 web flat, 18 per flat. I fertilize with osmocote. My prices are low, but my market has very low prices on almost everything. I price my plants at $2 each or three for $5.

I sell dwarf and microdwarf plants the earliest, then tomato plants for peoples' outdoor gardens in May, and then peppers after that. Dwarfs will sell long before the ground dries out enough to plant a garden. Plant sales are very weather-dependent. People will buy anything on the first warm sunny day of spring, but no one knows exactly when that will occur.

Herbs are decent sellers, especially if you can buy your seed in bulk. I have a dwarf basil called Emily that I like. Cilantro and parsley are decent sellers. I am going to try to expand to chives, mint, and wheat grass to see if they sell. I am thinking that microdwarfs in pots would probably sell all summer, especially if they had tomatoes on them already. But in my area, people plant their garden in the spring, and then the market to sell tomato and pepper plants is over. They don't sell after about the first weekend in June in my area. I go into flower-selling mode at that point - dwarf sunflowers, dwarf zinnias, and marigolds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meatmkt.jpg (177.3 KB, 290 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote