View Single Post
Old January 27, 2016   #769
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Hi fellow Floridians; haven't looked at a map, but it rained since early hours this AM.
I've been so lazy re: the garden since I got back from HI. This cooler weather has done wonders for the broccoli, strawberry plants, and bok choi.
Larry - I finally have a large Premium Blend broccoli head ready to pick. So when I pick the head, should I yank out the plant b/c there won't be side shoots? Do you think it is too late for planting new broccoli seeds?
Also earier this season you asked about, the Big Brandy Hybrid; Actually it was not generous with the tomatoes but without doubt they were the best tasting of any tomato I grew this fall. I saw that it's parents were Brandywine and New Big Dwarf; I have given up on Brandywine (except BCD) but tried NBD again this fall and 0 tomatoes. (My dwarfs did terrible this fall except for Sleeping Lady and Arctic Rose).
Barb
Typically I have pulled Premium Crop Broccoli (PCB) plants shortly after harvesting the heads. However, I didn’t do that with all plants with my most recent crop. What I learned was that although PCB doesn’t have traditional side shoots such as Packman, it often sends another stalk from lower on the plant that results in a second head of broccoli. The second is smaller than the first but still fairly large. You might give this a try and see if it works for you. Of course you have to keep watering the plant and a bit of fertilizer may also be called for.

I’m going to find out if it is too late to start new broccoli plants. I’ve never tried this late before but today, Jan 27th, I seeded 126 3 ½ seed cups (7 trays) with broccoli seeds. 42 cups with Premium Crop, 42 cups with Castle Dome and 42 cups with Lieutenant. Castle Dome is shorter days to maturity at 50, but it appears Lieutenant at 55 dtm has performed better in trials. Maybe it won’t get too hot in late May early-mid June. Cross my fingers.

I have tomato and pepper plants large enough to transplant but I’m not going to take the chance just yet. Cheers
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote