Thread: Baffled.
View Single Post
Old September 10, 2015   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
I have a refractometer that I use occasionally. I didn't test this fruit, there is zero sweetness. I'm working a lot with rin also, and in contrast the rin/rin lines can have some noticeable sweetness, but no carotenoid pigmentation.

I haven't had time to dig into alc much yet, but I'm interested in knowing more about the various approaches for delayed ripening-extended shelf-life. I'll probably post something on my blog when I get this figured out. I'm a plant biochem geek and fascinated by regulation of complex pathways by transcription factors (e.g. Rin) and other regulatory sequences.
Plant biochem geek? Why not.

Mark, I know that you are interested in long storage and/or or delayed ripening mechanisms with rin, nor and now alc, but I was wondering if you know any work that's been done with tomatoes where control of transcription was related to the degree and placement of methylation of the DNA.

I ask only b'c I did a paper that showed that Bacteriophge T1 could induce such methylation of the bacterial host.

I haven't reviewed the whole area of DNA methylation as a transcription controller in a long time and wonder if it's been reported in other systems, such as tomatoes.

Carolyn