View Single Post
Old January 3, 2019   #45
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have already started some root stock seed and some heirloom seeds. I stagger plant my root stock seed so I can better match the stems with the heirloom stems. I start my first batch of root stock seed with my first heirlooms but then plant more every 5 to 10 days and in a month or so I will start more heirlooms for later set out and stagger root stock seed for them also. I keep doing this until early summer so I have plants to set out on into July. Grafting for me is a long process so I can stagger my plantings over a five or six month period. I find it easier to keep setting out plants than to try to maintain very old plants and as beds empty of things like broccoli, onions, cucumbers and squash I like to refill them with some tomatoes. I like a long steady supply of fresh eating tomatoes rather than a huge crop all in a month or two. My first two plantings are my largest and give me plenty for canning and each bed after those two is smaller since I am just looking for a few to eat every day.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote