Thread: ants!
View Single Post
Old July 12, 2015   #3
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I learned recently that not all ant are good for my garden. And I am not talking about fire ants.

from this website: http://insects.about.com/od/coolandu...sandaphids.htm

"Ants feed on the sugary honeydew left behind by aphids. In exchange, the ants protect the aphids from predators and parasites. In fact, honey ants will go to unusual lengths to ensure the health of the aphids in their care.

Aphid-herding ants make sure their "cattle" stay well-fed and safe. When the host plant is depleted of nutrients, the ants carry their aphids to a new food source. If predatory insects or parasites attempt to harm their wards, the ants will defend them aggressively. Some honey ants even go so far as to destroy the eggs of known aphid predators like lady beetles.

Some species of honey ants continue to care for their aphids during winter.

The ants carry the aphid eggs home, and tuck them away in their nests for the winter months. They store the precious aphids where temperatures and humidity are optimal, and move them as needed when conditions in the nest change. In spring, when the aphids hatch, the ants carry them to a host plant to feed."

I saw ants and aphids on my okra in BIG quantity on few leafs recently. I wish I took pictures. Some leafs and flowers were completely covered with ants and aphids.
Two years in a row my peony bulbs were covered with ants and eventually most dryed out instead of blooming. I sprayed peonies with soap this year, it helped. I guess, I spooked ants and they moved to my tomatoes. Sprayed tomatoes with diatomaceous earth. They moved to okra.
I was spraying aphids, not ants. Just noticed ants, many ants. I did not put two and two together. I was under impression that ants were helping. After googling both names I was shocked to discover what this ants were doing.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”

Last edited by efisakov; July 12, 2015 at 04:57 AM.
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote