View Single Post
Old April 5, 2009   #5
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Our temps in my part of western Oregon aren't usually as cool as yours, but I feel your pain.

If necessary, you might put a small tomato cage around your pepper plants, or maybe some big sticks, dowels, or whatever you can find. Wrap some clear, thick mil plastic around them. Or you could use WOWs if you have them. WOWs-Walls of Water. Sometimes I use one or the other around my plants all summer and you will notice a small temperature jump. Might be just enough to keep your peppers growing and setting, as well as keeping them warm enough at night.

I have also found microclimate is absolutely important in growing warm weather crops here. Put peppers in the sunniest spot you have. The maximum amount of sunlight is so important. If it's the driveway in pots, go for it. And try what I suggested above to warm them further.

Planting against a brick wall that has a southern exposure is great. Or a house with a southern exposure. The heat they absorb will bounce back into the plant at night. Great way to keep them just warm enough.

Examine your planting spaces for the warmest spots you have. And that receive the most hours of sunlight a day. Are you willing to move anything so your peppers can have that spot or those spots?

Do you have the room and the time to create a hoop house for your peppers? Excellent way to keep them warm enough if you plan on growing more than a few plants.

Getting back to smaller amounts, 2 liter pop bottles filled with water and set around the plants will bounce added warmth into the plants. Or you could use milk jugs or other large containers.

I hope these suggestions help. They have worked for me and for many in our part of the country.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote