View Single Post
Old August 29, 2011   #17
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao all-

Cute photo of Duane and me, Hilde. That's exactly what I was doing - me in scientific pondering mode. I had to go back a few times to narrow down my choices for a few categories.

Zana, Hilde and I talked about getting together before the holidays to do a Norwegian baking class. We could add Italian and Armenian to that - wouldn't that be fun?

Duane, Zabby, and I did very well on Sunday. I'd wanted to go to Mass at St. Steven's, but that was the only thing that didn't fit into our plans. We got Zabby onto the train with time to spare in spite of Front Street still being barracaded for Buskerfest. We also hit City Hall to pay our respects to Jack Layton in the book of condolences. That was very emotional.

I'm very relieved that Irene spared New York. That would have hit the entire country very hard, not just the New Yorkers themselves. I pray for those in New Jersey, New England, and the Carolinas who lost loved ones and property.

My beans grew while I was gone and so did the cucumbers. They just won't quit! I'm grateful for the harvests, but I'll be very busy this week managing the canning.

Mario Le Mew (our aging 17 year old cat) is doing fine. He's still at the vet, but we pick him up at 3pm. It's great to travel, but we miss our furry kids so much when we're away.

Remy, I found a kitchen mat/rug thing at Target. It has been on my "wish list" for quite some time - to take the pressure off hours of standing while canning. I mention it because it has tomatoes on it and says "Fresh Tomatoes" like one of those antique wooden boxes we talked about yesterday. It's also over-sized, so I'll be much more comfortable from here on out, I think. We hit Wegman's and bought them out of dairy as usual. Russ and Nicky, you really ought to consider that - prices are more than 50% cheaper for things like milk, butter, and cheese. I told Zabby that I use my Wegman's loyalty card more than my Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum card!

Thanks so much to everyone for their wonderful conversation. Pomona, I'd volunteer to watch your daughter at a moment's notice if you were closer! She's precious!

Hugs and blessings to all of you,
Julianna, Duane, and Zabby