View Single Post
Old March 30, 2010   #14
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

It seems I often over think things, and this would be no exception. Grow in compost, and fertilize in hole during transplant and once fruit sets, then you're good. I've got all sorts of vitamins, hormones, N, P, K, supplements, etc. (more than a health food store!) and find the maintenance to be a bit much. Simple is good. I'm going back to the old ways, tried and true for me:

1. Sow in 72-cell or larger 1020 tray or similar. Mix of peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, coco coir, etc. based on availability
2. Wait for first true leaves. Transplant to larger 3" or 6" pots up to cotyledons and fertilize with diluted solution (seaweed, compost tea, etc.)
3. wait until 8-10" and move to larger 10-12" pot (3-5 gal) for growout and refert. Final plants approx. 2 ft. max. right now indoors. If moving outdoors, skip the 10-12" pots and transplant outside and fert. and stake.