Thread: Eggplants 2019
View Single Post
Old July 16, 2019   #24
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

So burned the lone Ping Tung as well and tasted, and I am starting to see a pattern here. Last year I was disappointed in the white eggplant, two weeks ago I bought some Rosa Bianca (most probably, looked exactly like them) and they were underwhelming, and Ping Tung now joins them. All three are pretty much tasteless.
The thing in common: they are all white-fleshed. Now, it might not be enough for a statistic, but it surely is a trend.
The way we prepare eggplant, which I think is fairly close to what goes around as 'eggplant caviar', using very refined oil (tasteless) and only a bit of onion (the one with garlic is more common around the world, but the one with onion does exist) means the eggplant is the one that carries that dish helped a bit by some smoke.
And one can easily see the differences.

If anyone knows some unusually strong green fleshed eggplant varieties, please let me know, I have seen them occasionally on youtube, in some indonesian cooking mostly. Kamo, the usual big blacks, etc, are all slightly green fleshed, with most of the green directly under the skin only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0080_ergebnis.jpg (177.8 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by zipcode; July 16, 2019 at 09:41 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote