View Single Post
Old August 31, 2017   #3
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
I read once back at the turn of the century, tomato breeders tried to progress their breeding programs by choosing a superior fruit. They made no real progress until they started making their selection for breeding on the whole plant (i.e. if the plant has one smooth tomato and the others ridged, the smooth tomato is not going to pass on different genes than the ridged ones.)

I don't believe saving seed by locules will make a difference. Now if you have a plant that consistently has more locules on average than a different plant, that is something to select on.
That is the same notion I have. However, shouldn't the fruit from an F1 all be the same? In most of the crosses I have, one or both of the parents are themselves not stable. In that case, seeds from different F1s will have different potential but all seeds from any given F1 will have the same potential - correct????

Perhaps the number of locules is more environmental than genetic. If that is the case, the seeds from the different fruits all have the same potential.

I searched my memory and on Tville and found that I had asked a similar question in a different thread and Bower answered saying basically the same thing. Thanks Bower (if I didn't thank you before).......
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote