View Single Post
Old August 5, 2011   #35
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Default The Almost One-Hour Sandwich Loaf

The Almost One-Hour Sandwich Loaf via a Food Processor. Who needs a bread machine?

I have the patience and attention span of a gnat …so anything that makes things fast, easy and good, is a major plus!!!!

For a super-speedy yeasted and kneaded sandwich loaf…I use the following recipe…there’s only one rise and so it’s super fast!

This is a recipe for instant, bread machine or rapid-rise yeast only! Don’t try to use other yeast!!!

When conditions are perfect I’ve made this loaf from start-to-finish in a wee bit over an hour!!!!

The Almost One-Hour Sandwich Loaf

3 cups bread flour
2 T. sugar. (I usually use just one T. of honey or homemade malted barley powder)
1 envelope instant yeast.
1 1/4 tsp. pickling salt.
3 T. butter. (room temperature or warmer)
1 egg. (room temperature)
3/4 cup warm water (approximately). (very warm… 130 degrees!) I’m serious! LOL

Insert metal blade into food processor. Add flour, sugar, dry yeast and salt…process a few seconds to mix.

Add butter and egg. Begin processing, then slowly pour warm water through feed tube just until dough forms a ball, about 10-15 seconds.

Continue processing for 60 seconds to knead dough (I let it go longer, more like 2-3 minutes, just for good measure).

Remove dough onto a lightly flour surface. Cover and let rest for 10 min.

Roll dough into a rectangle. Beginning at a short end, roll up tightly like a jelly roll.

Pinch ends and seam to seal.

Place, seam side down, in greased loaf pan.

Cover… let rise in warm, draft-free place until double in size about 30-45 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.

Tip: I stop the processor and pull the dough apart into several pieces a few times during the kneading. It kneads more evenly that way!

Tip: I use pre-warmed cast iron or glass loaf pans.

Tip: I’ve also made this loaf with whole wheat white flour with a bit of added gluten.

http://diggingdogfarm.com/?p=56