View Single Post
Old September 11, 2018   #56
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I had a revelation the other night. Perhaps it was the wine. Rather than take chances with the nematodes, just plant on that side of the garden the stuff that they don't bother. Duh. So for the next season that means the garlic, onions, scallions and anything else planted real early while the soil is still too cold for the 'todes to want to get out of bed. That would include the green peas and the real early brassicas like cabbage that I'm now planting out early February (pushing the envelope!). Also the early Spring Treat corn I'll try in a bed. It's technically a grass and 'todes won't mess with it at all.

It almost seems that if plants can get up and running and get some age to them before the attack begins, they do better. But that doesn't explain the successful okra which was planted in warm soil unless the population just started to build in that bed late summer.

It also means I'll have to shoehorn everything else into the other side of the garden. I'll have to ponder on that. Maybe over another glass of wine.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote