View Single Post
Old May 8, 2017   #7
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

With self watering from the bottom, there's a certain 'risk' that the fertilizer doesn't get decomposed, since it's not buried deep enough where the moisture is. Not sure how deep you put it or anything, just an idea. Are the plants looking good? By good I mean nice green colour, and quite importantly broad long leaves?
And then the second is microelements. The soilless stuff for containers doesn't have any minerals really. The organic fertilizer should have some but maybe not enough. In my (top watering) more or less organic containers I use organic fertilizer but I add some magnesium sulfate, calcium nitrate, iron chelate, borax, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, some molybdenum salt I forget, and manganese something. Of course, add in very very small quantities, every month or so (also in the right proportions, the Mg and Ca should be a lot more than the others). I makes a big difference compared to just the fertilizer, especially for taste.
I still have problems at about 4th-fifth flower branches after the plant is loaded, probably an automated watering would help, to keep the roots from overgrowing and reducing the absorption efficiency.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote