View Single Post
Old March 11, 2018   #17
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Poultry manure is too hot to use straight from the pen. It is too "hot" (high nitrogen) and must be aged a full season, at minimum. (I raise geese, peafowl and guinea fowl)

Horse manure is too full of weed seeds, IMHO. It also should be aged a season and the pile frequently turned, to kill any sprouting weeds. There will be many.

Cow is superior to horse manure and can be tilled directly into the garden, as loong as you don't go more than 50/50 with it

The finest manure of all is the highly valued rabbit type. It can also be tilled right into the soil or even used as top-dressing, if you rake it in slightly. I would get as much as you can lay your hands on and enjoy a lush garden!
I second the rabbit poo! Last spring, I tilled it into the South Carolina red clay along with some peat moss, and I had the most lush and productive plants. Although fruit yield was also high, I felt like I had too much vegetative growth, and some of my 10+ foot plants collapsed from the weight. I wouldn't go too heavy on it, it is slow to decompose and lasts the whole summer.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote