View Single Post
Old February 10, 2017   #32
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Mark, now that u are going two plants per bag, will you basically double your plant population? Or do you plan on eliminating some rows or changing in row spacing?
What percent increase in total yield are you shooting for?
I wonder how much more you will have to up your nutrient volume or watering.
Lastly, have you ever trailed grafting?
I will not double my plant number, but will increase it by 60 percent or so. Not all of my rows can have two plants per bag because of row spacing, this is because of the position of my heaters, which will fry plants, so they must be in an aisle. I will keep the same amount of rows I think.
I hope to more than double my yield though, by means of added plants and better management of the GH's.
I will certainly be watering more often, and will use more nutrients because of that.
I have not really tried grafting, but have looked at it. I am wanting to try some rootstock from cold tolerant varieties. I am not sure how grafting will affect my yields in the GH, I guess I could try some. I just wonder how much time I will spend doing it, and the returns for the effort, we don't have as much disease as the South, so I am not pressured to move ahead so much. Any thoughts?

BVV, I will have 300-500 per GH, depending on the size, I could put more in them, but I am leery to over crowd them, I just can't do the HG recommendations.
Yes, I do stagger the tomatoes. In the spring, most of my GH's are full of flowers, so I have to move tomatoes in as flowers move out. All Gh's are full of produce by June, I fill the last couple with cuttings that are nice, and already have small tomatoes on them. Good luck with Mat-Su, I hope the taste works out for you like it has for us in the GH's.

Barb, let me know how those work out for you in terms of producing early and taste. Good luck

Karen, I would love to trial those for you in the GH and outside. I am sure they would do awesome in the GH, I could even track the yield for you. If they do well outside up here you could grow them anywhere reasonable. Growing tomatoes outside up here is challenging, not all varieties work that great, even during our nicest summers. Cold ground, cool nights, sometimes lots of misty, rainy, miserable days too. LOL I will swap some seeds with you when you are ready.
Thanks ya-all LOL
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote