View Single Post
Old March 10, 2013   #76
macmex
Tomatovillian™

Hey folks,

just thought I'd drop in with a report. I am taking a couple days off this week to get the garden rolling, here in NE Oklahoma. I'm particularly excited about potatoes! Last year,in the spring, I grew from seed of Chaposa, Huagalina. I started a couple others, but lost them, due in part to my inexperience, and in part to a fungus gnat infestation in my planter. Later, in the middle of August, I started seed from Azul Rose and Kern Brot. These I grew in containers, on my sun porch, until it got too cold. I then let them dry out and die down.

Anyway, I got into those containers last week and was DELIGHTED to find dozens of mini tubers! This spring I plan on growing all of our potatoes from these four seed grown strains as well as from some varieties which were sent to me last year: Bora Valley, Azul Toro (one plant, which I hope I haven't lost) and Chalice.

This, to me, is one of the most exciting developments; the possibility of growing our own potatoes from seed. If I can get seed production in our extreme climate, I will be a very happy man.

Huagalina started sprouting late last summer, in the garden. I transplanted some. But they didn't have time to produce. I'm hoping to find more starts, by digging, this week. Chaposa died down and I simply left it where it was.

Last August I also started seed to Muruta. I carried all my TPS seedlings to work and back, every day, so I could give them full sun and yet keep them from drying out. Folks thought it was funny that I had plants growing on the roof of my car. But that's where I kept them. One day, I received an important call when it was time to clock out. I was so involved in it that I jumped in the car and drove 1/2 mile to the time clock. I forgot to take Muruta down and they fell off the roof and into the road. When I went back and found them. Muruta was no more. This January I started more Muruta. But for some reason only one plant has survived. I have started yet another planting. I have high hopes for this variety.

Back in January one mini tuber from Azul Rose sprouted and grew leaves. This was on a very cool sun porch and with no watering. I assume this means that it will have a very short dormancy. All but one of the Azul Rose seedlings were beginning to sprout in their containers, when I checked last week. Non of the seedlings derived from Kern Brot have started to sprout. I placed them in slightly open baggies, with damp potting soil, under my planter lights, hoping to get them to break dormancy.

George
Tahlequah, OK
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote