View Single Post
Old April 27, 2018   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

The wierd thing is, the ground is still frozen in parts of the garden. But I just looked at the ten day forecast and I don't see a single temp below freezing... and you're so right, PH, there shouldn't be anything severe enough to hurt garlic at this point. With the kelp I feel like they're still having a little protection but in fact it shrinks up really quickly as the sun dries it.
Good point about the fencing, as well. I've done that before too and woe betide the gardener who lets stuff grow up through it!
I always just leave the kelp and they grow up through no problem, but these maple leaves are really matted down. Last time I used leaves, I intended to leave it on but kept finding it torn off by ??? Turned out to be ravens, looking for bugs or worms underneath, and they didn't harm the garlic at all. I was putting it back daily until I realized, well hey they are doing me a favor, it needs to come off.
So actually, Worth, good advice to remove it early...and in the morning. Even if I just removed the wire, I dare say someone will take those leaves out of it before the day is done.
The ravens and other birds are up to all kinds of shenanigans since the warm weather hit, and very attentive to what I'm doing in the garden re: pickins available! They're hootin out there this morning but the mulch will have to wait til it stops raining.
Thanks guys for the advice!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote