View Single Post
Old January 26, 2017   #65
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Jumping in....I have been planning for years to grow greens for home use. Still working out the kinks...

I tried eating pea leaves from the garden last summer as the year prior I had liked nibbling on the Dwarf Sugar Grey.....conclusion, any other pea leave was spat out, I couldnt swallow it. Only the DSG had a sweet delicious pea flavor. ( The other vines were rolled up into a bundle and feed to the sheep.

So will be interesting to see what varieties you are trialling and hear what your tastebuds liked!!

After several failures, I figured out that sprouts need MULTIPLE " washings" a day to sprout. I have mastered sprouting lentils. Why lentils??? Because they were in the pantry.

Using appropriate seed IMO is very important. Reading JSS seed for sprouting conveys information about testing the seed for hazardous mold etc that would not be a problem when planting BUT as a sprout, likely the makings of another Salem Witch trial.

Because of this I am leary to grow and store my own dried beans.

But as I can buy tested seed....Im all for sprouting. I especially like that the sprouts in soil are greener and likely more loaded with good stuff. ( Read long ago about one nutrient that is only in the young sprout that is valuable health wise--sorry details are long gone form memory.)

I started learning about sprouts etc from THE SPROUT LADY, a book wriitten long ago but very inspiring and led me to her other books.

Need to find those cafeteria trays.....they are stored somewhere .....just not sure where...
Due to the salmonella and e-coli outbreaks with sprouts in the 90s, it's almost impossible to find sprouts grown by a small producer. The gov't regulations are just too hard to implement unless you're a large company and can afford it.

Also, Drs are now telling pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems to stay away from sprouts grown in water. The bacteria danger is just too high. Microgreens are safer because you only eat the sprouted part. The seed and the root (where the bacteria can grow) stay in the soil.

I used to sprout in mason jars for my own use back in the 80s and never had a problem though.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote