Thread: A tomato update
View Single Post
Old September 18, 2013   #1
hank
Tomatovillian™

Default A tomato update

Because I am member of MAGTAG and want to keep something going, I am going to talk about my tomatoes. As some of you know, I raise tomatoes to sell in a PYO fashion, not a big thing (480 plants), and it is more of I like to do it thing. I like hybrids as well as OPs. I spray chlorothalonil on a weekly basis from late July through August. If a bug attacks, I will deliver a chemical attack. The bed was deeply disced. The rows were then ripped to a depth of about 18 inches then gone over with a potato plow to form a shallow trench with a much deeper narrow trench below. Mountain Fresh was my hybrid. Black Krim, Brandywine, German Johnson, Mortgage Lifter, numerous cherries, Rutgers, Kellogs Breakfast, and another hybrid Better Boy were the other varieties. Some observations are thus: Black Krim is one nice tomato with its taste and production. Kellogs was a fantastic producer with huge tomatoes and for me a nice flavor. It was somewhat delicate which made it difficult to pick. BUT I encourage you all to grow at least one Mountain Fresh in your life. Let it ripen fully before you eat it fresh, and if you can it, it works wonderfully. Other qualities are its ability to produce over a long season, its truly gigantic production per plant area, and pest resistance. Do not prune it. And that is my report. Hope to see you all again at least next Summer. Hank