View Single Post
Old December 11, 2016   #2348
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Looking for ideas for variety as I need to start seeds soon. Nothing HUGE, no dwarfs. Preferably disease resistant. Something (if experiment works) that I want the tomatoes or can give away easily.

Here's some that I thought of from growing experience:

1. Stump of the World - Growing now, 2 plants in unfavorable conditions, producing a lot (for me) of fruit. Not too big. Negative - it is considered a late variety.

2. NAR - Grew these in the past, plants not huge, tasted good

3. Cosmonaut Volkov - growing now in Root Pouch. Evenly productive, plant not huge. I grew these before because I had saved seeds but don't remember it although it gets great reviews.

4. Momotaro - I have 2 going now, one in a root pouch; the other in a black container. The one in the black container has fallen so many times with the fruit knocked off but still is a huge producer. Perfect fruit. Both are Wild and Wooly as Ginny would describe. Neither plant is tall huge. Both very bushy but that is my fault.
(Choosing this one would be a long shot).

5. LBB (Large Barred Boar) - Grown several times - fits the criteria.

6. Big Beef - has best disease resistance, probably a bigger plant.

---
Your ideas or please shoot mine down.
Why start new seeds? You may try cuttings from healthy plants. Just root them. It is easy. Plus if you like the taste of Momotaro, save seeds for next year, use cuttings.

I was too busy at work last week and just catching up on reading now. So many great ideas and experiments. Thanks for sharing.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote