View Single Post
Old October 12, 2017   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
It is public only to those who have joined SSE and are paid members. You have to be logged in with a password in order to see it. So that really is no different than becoming a member in order to see their contact info in your annual print yearbook.

Anyone can search for specific named varieties and see the basic fruit descriptions for them, but if you are not logged in as a member, you can't see any personal names or contact info.

So if you are not a member, all you can see are the name of the variety and the brief description as seen in the print yearbook, and the simple abbreviation of just the state/location of the lister. (Not the entire lister code such as NY MA C)
If you go back quite a few Yearbooks, here's what I used to list in the New York section as NY MA C.

My home address

My phone number

My e-mail address

as contact info.

But I changed that to eliminate all but m e-mail addy and here's why.

Folks would donate their Yearbooks to local libraries, so anyone could find a person's phone number,home address,etc.which was bad. That never happened to me but did happen to others I know.If I got an e-mail asking for seed I sent back that I don't honor e-mails asking for seeds.

On top of that there was an article from SSE in one of the four magazines saying that many had found out about that and to never post contact info you didn't want to be public.

My em addy is all over the place and has been that way since I've used the same one since 1989, I do have several back up user names but I'm not one who posts at site A with one,and at another site with different one.And I'm darn glad my em is all over the place since that's how I interact with folks in Sweden,Norway,Denmark,France,Germany,Spain, The Czech Republic,Romania, Greece and Israel, and now Lebanon.

Lastly,I think I'm confused since I thought the exchange, at least I was told so,was open to non paid SSE members.It was pointed out to me in the 2017 on the list of new Lifetime members there was a person on that list that was not a paid SSE member.The person asked me to look and see if I knew any others, I did, but I didn't find others I knew.

In the exchange,again, it was pointed out to me that there was at least one person who participated there who was not an SSE member and given the name,yes, I certainly knew that person very well./

One time I was asked for my SSE acct number, say what, I didn't know I had one.I was told it was on the label of the plastic wrapped yearbook that was sent tome.I used to throw those in the trash ASAP since who needs to keep torn plastic wrappers,not me.

Carolyn