View Single Post
Old April 4, 2017   #23
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I feel for you. I had the same problem the year that I added straw to the compost. It was the regular bedding straw for horses and was full of seeds. I had it sprouting all year. All that I can suggest is to keep turning it and throwing the clumps of grass onto the concrete so that they dry out and die. I have never used straw again...

Thanks Miss, this is what I purchased. It's not to feed horses, it's described on the website as;

"Standlee Premium Western Forage Straw can be used for animal bedding, erosion control and composting." But it's not for horses bedding, they will eat it and cause stomach problems to themselves.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...ximately-50-lb

It's Certified Noxious Weed Free.

My problem is the weeds our yard grows, I think it's called crabgrass, but we have numerous kinds of weeds. This crabgrass has encroached into my compost pile. I don't know what to do to get it out of my compost. I hate that stuff. It's one of the reasons I have raised beds with bottoms in them, to keep as far away from the weeds as possible. I didn't want my compost pile in my garden area though, it's only about 24' x 24' or something.

I have my garden on professional landscape cloth to keep away from the grass that harbors the mosquitoes, and all the other icky's that like to crawl all over me. Fire ants for one, Andro works well on those, but I don't want to walk into a nest in the garden. It helps to keep them out of my garden beds also. Oh, so many lawn insects in the south that I don't want in my garden.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; April 4, 2017 at 08:05 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote