View Single Post
Old July 30, 2009   #11
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again to Craig and Lee for the organization and to Sue and Lori for all the behind the scenes work. It was great to see everyone again and getting to taste all the tomatoes and sample KBX from other gardens. It was fantastic, and I am still amazed at how much regional conditions can affect the flavor nuances. There were fruits from I think 3 different gardens and all were similar yet one had more "assertiveness" and one had more of a lingering afterglow.

Morgan, Craig, Lee and I think Greg, all had a chance to taste a new project of mine, a grow out of a RL Japanese Black Trifle that showed up in 2008 (only one out of 40-50 plants) and had heavy production of globe fruits in the 3-4 oz range. I'm growing out 6 plants this year. 4 are PL 2 are RL. The one I took to the tasting is PL with a pleated/ruffled dark chocolate fruit. They all gave it head nods and fairly high eyebrow raises as they tasted. Not sure what that equates to on a scale of 1-10 but I took it as a positive and am saving seeds for further trial and hopeful stabilization.