View Single Post
Old July 29, 2016   #1
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Default lots of leaves, few pods

This is the first time I've planted butterbeans. I had no clue what I was doing but as you can see from the picture, I did get a lot of vine growing! I'm certain that I planted too heavily for the area. I planted about 2 seeds in each hole, not trusting that anything would come up. The top of the trellis is so full that I can't see how any blooms can even happen in that massive jungle. I've only just this week picked about a handful of mature pods.

There are a few more immature pods that I can see, but I really don't see very many blossoms at all. Part of that may be due to the heat and humidity we've been having, but I'm not sure. Should I try to trim out some of the growth on top? (although they are all twisted up together and it would be difficult). Leave this alone and continue waiting? Any suggestions or thoughts? Oh, and I think I must have some kind of a pest in there although I haven't been able to see anything, but I have had the tiniest little ants crawling up and down the vines. I can't really see any damage to the leaves or anything so I haven't worried about it. Should I be worrying?

Also, I've read that I should have added a soil inoculant (whatever that is), when I planted the seed. Do you all recommend that for next year? Is there a particular brand?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160714_075915.jpg (297.5 KB, 73 views)
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote