View Single Post
Old July 13, 2017   #97
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I think the biggest production potential have the 'regular truss multiflora' as I call them (longer trusses that split and split), so like commercial hybrid cherries have, and not the highly branching trait of Ildi type.
The thing with the highly branching is the amount of flowers that don't fruit. That is a massive amount of wasted energy, like 10% of them set.
The easiest way to obtain the gene is to buy some of these commercial grape packages (which are usually pretty gosh darnoodley good tasting), and try growing f2s from them. The results will vary, the highest yield I got was from a Coeur de Pigeon F2 (commercial name on a package from France, quite expensive), but I think they changed the variety they used since I tried it 6 years ago. Ildi is a poor producer compared to what you get from these f2s, it makes 30-100 per truss and does so until 10 trusses or more.
I already have a few lines exibiting medium branching of inflorescence but it's always unstable in terms of how much it branches,ussualy starts off high at the 1st truss and then it decreases on the upper ones.If the hybrids you mention have stable branching that would be useful indeed.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote