View Single Post
Old May 20, 2018   #8
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default A double-row corn update

Corn status: The two double rows of early Spring Treat is starting to tassel already!

But it's at the 51 day mark from planting and the seed packet says it's a 67 day corn. It's only about 4' tall but I think the mature height is something like 5'.

The three double rows of Silver Queen came up evenly, are pretty uniform and have had the next fertilizing.

The experimental "Buhl in the bed" corn is coming along but is so uneven in growth.

That's my fault for planting it when I did the cool soil-tolerant Spring Treat. The nice warm weather turned chilly for a week about three days after I planted them both so I had to wait for the weather to turn again to replant a lot of skips. I'm hoping the shorties can catch up so that everybody pollinates at once but I might have to do some hand pollination if not. Lesson learned.

This morning I found some kind of black caterpillar down in the whorls of several Silver Queen stalks, munching on the foliage. They had lines down the sides like the Southern Army worm that feasted on the eggplant late last summer. I sprayed all the Silver Queen with bT. That should get 'em. No sign of damage on the other corns.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote