Thread: Soil Test
View Single Post
Old August 30, 2016   #50
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
thank you for the articles, i had previously read the 2nd article, but just now read the first one. i have a fire pit, but burn all kinds of things, so not pure; but depending could be a good option that i have not thought about. i did pick up some blood meal at the wally world deep discount sale, but they are small bags.

i do have two tumbler compost bins that i use from time to time.

i have never used "urea" as recommended on soil test for N, but did read about it.
I have never used urea either and don't think I would. I prefer other sources of N. I do use wood ash periodically though and it works great. It has K, Cal, Mag and other nutrients and limes the soil. A lot of those other liming agents have to slowly break down, especially the pelleted forms. Throw some wood ash on your grass and water it in. It will make a lush, dense green patch. It's like concentrated compost. And there are different forms of N. Some are available and some arent'. For that reason I like to use several different organic N fertilizers. I also keep a stock tank by my garden full of water and let it grow green algae. I put buckets of that on the plants periodically for a boost of N. Blue green algae fixes nitrogen out of the air. More free fertilizer.

When I need a quick boost of nutrients I will use Ironite 7-6-6 liquid in water. It adds all the micros to the soil. Get some hardwood and burn it, save the ash and spread it all over the garden. Feed supply stores sell big bags of blood meal.
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote